It’s well known that Bayer makes aspirin and is seen as one of the most “cutting edge” and “modern” pharmaceutical companies in the world, but while their products enjoy a positive reputation, most people seem to gloss over the laundry list of scandals that have plagued the company since its establishment in the mid-1800s.
Because of their involvement with the Nazi war machine in Germany and recent purchase of Monsanto, there has been a strong undercurrent of rising awareness about the potential dangers of their products.
But this goes far beyond the company’s dark history, and extends into current times as well, as Bayer has been involved in plenty of drug-related scandals that will make you think twice about ever buying one of their products or trusting them again.
Five Bayer Drug Scandals That Everyone Should Know About
With billions in payouts and countless damages inflicted on its users, Bayer drugs have inflicted serious damage to say the least.
Here are five Bayer drug scandals that everyone should know about for the extent of the alleged harm they have caused:
1. Yazmin (Birth Control Pills)- According to the website Drugwatch.com, more than 10,000 women filed lawsuits against Bayer over damages caused by the drug, also known as “Yaz.”
Over 8,000 cases were settled for $1.7 billion, and over 60 federal lawsuits remained pending as of May 2018.
2. Essure- A permanent birth control device, it has been blamed for serious injuries and death according to 16,800 lawsuits.
The company’s website now features the following prominent warning on top: “Some patients implanted with the Essure System for Permanent Birth Control have experienced and/or reported adverse events, including perforation of the uterus and/or fallopian tubes, identification of inserts in the abdominal or pelvic cavity, persistent pain, and suspected allergic or hypersensitivity reactions. If the device needs to be removed to address such an adverse event, a surgical procedure will be required.”
3. Xarelto- A popular drug that has been extremely well-advertised on television (the U.S. is one of a small handful of nations that even allow this practice), over 22,000 Xarelto bleeding lawsuits have been filed, and are now in a federal court in Louisiana.
4. Trasylol- Over 150 lawsuits were filed for $60 million in 2010, and studies have linked the drug, which is used to prevent clotting during heart surgery, to an increased risk of death and other serious injuries. It was later removed from the market, as numerous other Bayer drugs have been over the years.
5. Baycol- Lawsuits against this cholesterol-lowering drug “appeared to be the cause of 31 deaths according to WebMD.com,
The lawsuits focused on rhabdomyolysis, a serious muscle condition that can lead to death.
For more information on these and other serious episodes, scandals and lawsuits involving Bayer, check out the full article from DrugWatch.com here.
More Info on the Dark History of Bayer
From its involvement with Nazi camps to countless scandals like these, it’s clear that Bayer is just as worthy of our protest efforts as Monsanto itself, perhaps even more.
The first step is to educate ourselves on the true history of Bayer, while preparing for a new round of protests and raising awareness.
For more information, check out our previous article Eight Reasons Why Every Human Being With a Conscience Should Boycott Monsanto-Bayer.
And you also should inform yourself on the Bayer HIV/AIDs drug scandal as well, check out this article to learn more.
Photo via WKYT.